272+T2 on is one of ten ‘Twin Cars’ created in 1960/1. The power car (272) was rebuilt by Blackpool Corporation from a streamlined English Electric Railcoach of July 1935. The conversion to flat fronted towing car took place between October 1959 and September 1960. Trailer (T2) was built by Metro Cammell of Birmingham and was delivered in July 1960. After use in other formations 272 and T2 were paired from May 1961 and in November 1964 were converted to be permanently coupled with one set of control equipment moved from 272 to T2. This improved their flexibility as they could reverse at crossings, previously they had to reverse at turning circles. The original mainly cream livery was replaced by green and cream with an orange tower.
272/T2 became 672/682 in the 1968 renumbering and continued in use during the summer season – mainly from July to October – with little attention through the 1970s and 1980s. In January 1991 the set was split for works attention which included the first full repaint since 1965! It became the fourth set to gain a new green roof/skirt livery and 672 was also fitted with a pantograph and modified trucks with rubber suspension from a withdrawn OMO tram.
In 2003 672/82 was the first of five sets to have a further refurbishment with heaters, low voltage lighting, retrimmed seats and a full repaint into a new “Metro Coastlines” livery featuring orange and yellow. It retained this until the end of traditional tram operation in November 2011. The tram has been restored to its original livery as 272/T2 and was relaunched on 14 September 2012 as part of the Heritage Fleet.