Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad Box Car 40 was built in 1914 by Untied Electric Car Co of Preston. The tramroad company operated a separate route from Blackpool North Station to Fleetwood from 1898 to 1919 and amassed a fleet of 41 cars – 15 enclosed ‘box’ saloons for year round use and 26 open sided cars for summer work.
40 was one of the last four Box cars built in 1914 – the original 11 dated from 1898/9. The Tramroad Company was taken over by Blackpool Corporation at the start of 1920 and the route was connected to the Corporation network at Gynn Square. 40 was renumbered 115 in the BCT series, but stayed at the former Tramroad depot at Bispham and continued to operate its usual route.
The Box cars later appeared on the Promenade and even Lytham Road services once newer cars took over the Fleetwood workings. The modernsisation of the fleet in the 1930s saw off the Tramroad fleet with 115 withdrawn in October 1937. It was retained as a works car numbered 5 initially used by track repair gangs and later by the overhead line crews. In March 1960 it was taken into the works to be returned to passenger condition for the 75th Anniversary of the tramway and operated from 29 June 1960 until January 1963. In October 1963 it moved to the National Tramway Museum, Crich where it operated in 1964/5. It later moved to Heaton Park Tramway for restoration and operated there from 1982 to 1986. It visited Blackpool from 1988 to 1991 then moved back to Crich but returned on long term loan in 1995. After a recent overhaul it is an active member of the heritage fleet on loan from the Tramway Museum Society.