Monthly Archive: October 2015

Behind the Scenes

Awaiting Duty: 631, 680, 701 and 717 line up on the depot fan

The Blackpool Heritage Fleet resides in the 1935 built Rigby Road Depot which formed the main base of the tramway until the upgrade in 2012 when the new Starr Gate depot opened. Here are some glimpses behind the scenes.

The Transformation of 675/685

June: The motor coach, 675, is still stored in the depot for now, but as our photograph shows, our skilled staff have made excellent progress with work on the trailer, 685. The old yellow and red livery leftover from the Metro Coastline days has now disappeared, and the smart green and cream colours are returning. This follows a considerable amount of preparation, not least to remove the stickers that previously featured along the sides of the tram as part of the Metro branding.

During 2015, Twin Set 675+685 was chosen for reactivation as part of the heritage fleet. It last ran in 2011 in its 2004 applied red and yellow “Metro” livery. Between May and September it was transformed into green and cream…
Read more

130th anniversary – behind the scenes

English Electric Railcoach 279 and Brush Railcoach 287 (or 259, or 624!) were displayed in the Fitting Shop, which today serves as our main heritage workshop. In the foreground are a pair of Balloon car bogies undergoing overhaul.

Our 130th anniversary celebrations seemed to prove incredibly popular with all, with a record breaking number of people enjoying a ride on our heritage trams! We were blessed with great weather over the two days, allowing us to run our…
Read more

Bolton 66 of 1901

66_01

Car 66 was built in 1901 for Bolton Corporation by Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Works of Preston. Originally an open topper it was later fitted with a top deck cover and later still enclosed top deck ends – though…
Read more

Blackpool and Fleetwood Box 40 of 1914

40_01

Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad Box Car 40 was built in 1914 by Untied Electric Car Co of Preston. The tramroad company operated a separate route from Blackpool North Station to Fleetwood from 1898 to 1919 and amassed a fleet of…
Read more

Standard 143 of 1924

143_01 AR

Standard 143 was built by Blackpool Corporation in 1924. It was one of 42, mostly built in house from 1923-1929. Like most sisters it started life as an open balcony car with open vestibules (windscreens). Various modifcations took place with…
Read more

Standard 147 of 1924

147_01

147 was built by the Hurst, Nelson & Co. Ltd, Motherwell, in June 1924 as one of a batch of 42 double deck Standards supplied between 1923 and 1929. The majority of Standards were built (or rebuilt from older trams) by Blackpool Corporation in…
Read more

Open Boat 600 (225) of 1934

600_01

This is the prototype of 12 open boat cars built by English Electric in 1934 as part of General Manager Walter Luff’s five year modernisation plan which saw 116 new trams supplied during the 1930’s. Three prototypes were constructed of…
Read more

Open Boat 227 (602) of 1934

227_01

227 is one of 12 open boat cars built by English Electric in 1934 as part of General Manager Walter Luff’s five year modernisation plan which saw 116 new trams supplied during the 1930’s. After prototype 225, 227 was the…
Read more

Open Boat 230 (604) of 1934

604_01

This is one of 12 open boat cars built by English Electric in 1934 as part of General Manager Walter Luff’s five year modernisation plan which saw 116 new trams supplied during the 1930’s. After prototype 225, 230 was the…
Read more